If you have an eating disorder and want to get help (which I encourage you to do), here are some resources that have helped me in my current recovery journey.
First, I encourage you to check out the National Eating Disorder Association website. There is just so much good information on that site. There is education, resources, links to find help, links to events, links for friends and family, and so much more. I have friends who have worked with NEDA and everything that I hear about the association has been amazing.
In the past, I’ve used My Fitness Pal for staying on track with counting my calories, but I’m not sure if tracking numbers is the right thing for me. I’m also using Recovery Record to track my eating, habits, feelings, and binges without tracking numbers.
There are 2 eating disorder podcasts that I’ve connected to. The first is the Quit Binge Eating Podcast. This changed names to Progress Not Perfection and is not doing new episodes. But there are great episodes in the archives and I recommend listening to them all. I’m also listening to the Recovery Warrior Podcast. I started all the way back at the beginning and worked my way through all the episodes. This one seems more generic on the type of eating disorder (versus Quit Binge Eating which is mainly about binge eating), but that does not make it less effective or something that I don’t connect with.
There are a lot of books that I’ve read about recovery. Some of them may help you, some of them may not. But I wanted to share some of my favorites so you can look them up and see if you connect with them:
- Brain Over Binge: Why I Was Bulimic, Why Conventional Therapy Didn’t Work, And How I Recovered For Good
- Reclaiming Yourself From Binge Eating: A Step By Step Guide To Healing
- How To Have Your Cake And Skinny Jeans Too: Stop Binge Eating, Overeating and Dieting For Good
- Life Without Ed
- 8 Keys To Recovery From An Eating Disorder: Effective Strategies From Therapeutic Practice And Personal Experience
- Healing Your Hungry Heart: Recovering From Your Eating Disorder
- The Binge Code: 7 Unconventional Keys To End Binge Eating & Lose Excess Weight
- Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food
- Eating Disorders Anonymous: The Story of How We Recovered from Our Eating Disorders
And if any of you are considering taking Vyvanse, you need to speak to your doctor about going on it. There are some side effects that might not be great for you, and you want to make sure that you are checked out before starting it.